The electrical outlets in your home are probably one of the most used amenities. Electricity and our electrical devices get us through our day and make our routines easier. That’s why it’s important to make sure they are working properly and are flawlessly installed so that we do not come across problems or potential fire hazards. If you notice smoke coming out of an electrical outlet, it’s vital to take immediate action. Knowing what to do when there is smoke coming out of an electrical outlet can keep you, your loved ones, and your property safe. At Mr. Electric of Dallas, we’ve put together some tips on how you can fix a smoking electrical outlet. If you find these tips helpful and would like to learn more or would like to schedule an appointment with our skilled electricians, give us a call or schedule online. We’re available 24/7 and are happy to provide a safety inspection.
Why Is There Smoke In the Electrical Outlet?
The first step beyond ensuring your family is ready to evacuate the building, is figuring out why there is smoke coming from the electrical outlet and if there is a fire within the wall. If you’ve just plugged something in and suddenly notice smoke coming out of the outlet or smell something burning, unplug the device and turn off the circuit immediately. If the wall is hot and the smoke is continuing to pour out of the circuit, call 911 and quickly exit the building. If smoke stops pouring out of the outlet once it is unplugged and the wall is not hot, keep the circuit turned off until you can understand why there is smoke. For your safety, it may be a good idea to call Mr. Electric of Dallas for a full investigation.
Common Causes of Smoking Electrical Outlets
In order to prevent a potential fire hazard and smoking electrical outlets, it’s important to understand the common causes. In addition to smoke coming from your electrical outlets, you might also notice heat, a faint burning smell, or charred marks. One of the common causes of electrical fires is faulty wiring. Loose and damaged wires or faulty grounding could lead to smoke and fire. Debris inside the outlet can also lead to potential fire hazards. A buildup of debris can transfer electricity, causing friction between negative and positive wires. The friction causes heat and is a potential fire hazard. To clean this area, make sure to cut off the power to the circuit breaker and use a vacuum.
Overloaded Outlets and Loose Connections
Also take into consideration that overloaded outlets and loose connections can lead to a fire hazard. If too many devices are hooked to the same circuit, the power demand may exceed the load capacity for the circuit. In this case, the circuit would break. If the circuit breaker doesn’t trip, the overload could generate heat. The excess heat can cause smoldering wires, smoke, and possibly fire. If you notice a wiggly plug, it’s likely there’s a loose connection. For the electricity to flow safely, the connections must be tight and secure. Sometimes heavy use can cause outlets to become worn, cracked, or corroded. These loose connections can be the cause of fire or smoke. Make sure to speak to a professional electrician with the right tools and knowledge to get your electrical wiring and connections right. Give our team at Mr. Electric of Dallas a call or schedule an appointment online.