How Can I Tell If My Office Wiring Is a Fire Hazard?

How Can I Tell If My Office Wiring Is a Fire Hazard?

August 12, 2022

At Mr. Electric, we understand the electrical risks that come with faulty, damaged or old wiring in an office, or any other commercial property.

Below are warning signs that you may have a problem with the electrical wiring in your office.

Old Wiring

Old or outdated wiring in your office is a risk factor for electrical fires because it may not be up to code for our modern-day electrical demands. Outdated wiring often can’t handle the heavier electrical demands of today’s electronics and appliances, so the wires can easily become overloaded and overheat.

If your office resides in a building built in 1970 or before and the wiring has never been updated, you are in danger of an electrical fire. You’ll need to get an experienced electrician to rewire your office.

Frayed or Chewed Wiring

Usually caused by amateur handymen who hammer nails haphazardly into walls; rodents and pets; or normal disintegration, any damaged wiring can be a significant fire hazard. Frayed or chewed wires are vulnerable to overheating, shorting out, power surges, and other elements that can cause a fire.

There’s A Burning Smell with an Unknown Source

Do you smell a burnt odor in your office but you can’t tell where it is coming from? A burnt smell indicates that there could be a short circuit, possibly caused by faulty wiring or a loose connection. Short circuits are among the leading causes of office electrical fires, so you’ll want to call an electrician to find the root of the problem.

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

A circuit breaker that keeps tripping mainly points to three things;

There’s a power surge caused by excess current on one circuit.The circuit has gone bad and may need to be replaced.There’s a short circuit, possibly caused by faulty wiring.

Whatever the case, it is important to call in an experienced electrician to find the root of the problem and fix it.

Flickering/Dimming Lights

Your lights can slightly dim or flicker when you plug in a high-powered device such as a washing machine. A slight change like this is normal in most cases. However, if your lights dim or flicker randomly, this can be a symptom of an issue with your wiring. You should have this issue investigated by a certified electrician before it becomes a fire hazard.

Hot, Scorched Outlets

Scorch marks and discoloration on your electrical outlets are signs that the wiring in your office is faulty in some way and is causing arcing and sparking. Arcing and sparking have the potential to cause electrical fires in your office if left unchecked.

At Mr. Electric, we want you to stay safe from electrical hazards by heeding the warning signs mentioned above.

Contact Mr. Electric for All of Your Electrical Wiring Needs

If you suspect a problem with your electrical wiring, call Mr. Electric to troubleshoot the problem and make repairs. Don’t wait for a fire to put your office and employees at risk. Mr. Electric is always ready to help you with all of your wiring needs.